While the cold season seems like it’s already been going on for far too long, its impact on our heating bill is just beginning. Achieving low energy costs during the coldest months of the year can be tough, but that doesn’t mean you can’t take steps to potentially reduce those costs. That’s why we’ve jotted down a few furnace tips to help keep heating bills from skyrocketing.
To start controlling your heating bills and boosting your energy efficiency this winter, consider:
- Keeping your blinds open during the warmest parts of the day to bring sunlight in, warming your home naturally.
- Sealing cracks around your home’s windows and doors with caulk or weather stripping.
- Installing a programmable thermostat so that you can more easily control the temperature in your home, which will also increase energy efficiency.
- Cleaning or replacing your furnace filter every three months.
- Making sure your home’s heating vents are open and aren’t blocked by any obstructions
- Replacing your old furnace with a newer, more efficient model if you’ve had your current furnace for more than 15 years.
- Installing insulation to your attic to keep warm air from escaping.
- Checking your roof to ensure your shingles are intact, and that no holes or areas need sealing.
Attempting to keep your energy bills low and energy efficiency high, is a year-round effort, one that can seem overwhelming at times. However, that doesn’t mean that you can’t do a few small things to make sure you’re keeping your bills as low as possible. If you have any questions related to the tips above or questions about how you can decrease your heating bills, give us a call at 812-825-8695. Our experts are here to help you keep your home comfortable all year long, even with the crazy Bloomfield weather.