On average, air ducts need to be cleaned every three to five years according to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association
. Depending on a lot of factors—like your home’s location, whether or not you have pets, and how often your air filter has been replaced, to name a handful—you may require air duct cleaning
more or less often. So, how can you find out for sure when it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? There are certainly some significant signs when it’s time.
Look for these clues:
- Are your cold air returns coated with dust or pet hair?
- Is there a blockage in your cold air return vent?
- Are your registers wafting out dust?
- When you look inside with a flashlight, can you see an accumulation of debris or pet fur?
- Have insects or rodents found shelter in your ductwork?
- Can you hear noise other than your blower motor when you listen to the airflow?
- When your vents are fully opened, do any have less airflow than others?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, it’s most likely time to ask Stanford Heating & Cooling in Bloomfield about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
There are a few things you can do to help keep your ducts cleaner and lengthen the amount of time between professional cleanings.
Above all, setup routine HVAC maintenance with the professionals at Stanford Heating & Cooling. A tune-up of your furnace each fall and your AC each spring, which should comprise of inspection, and prospective replacement, of your air filter, will help keep your HVAC system running effectively, and should help keep your ducts clean.
You can also converse with the team at Stanford Heating & Cooling about installing an air purification system. We offer the Lennox PureAir Air Purification System, Healthy Climate Carbon Clean 16 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate 11 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate High-Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) Filtration System and Healthy Climate UV Germicidal Lights.
Other actions you can take include:
- Frequently dusting and vacuuming your home.
- Checking your air filters routinely and replacing them when the manufacturer recommends exchanging them. Most filters will display dust on them after a short time in service, but they may not demand replacement.
- Sealing drips in air ducts that permit dust to move in from areas like your attic.
- Exchanging poor or impaired air-duct insulation.
With an expert air duct cleaning and some proactive measures, you can help keep the air in your Bloomfield home clean and healthy. Give the experts at Stanford Heating & Cooling a call at 812-825-8695.